This is THE absolute best puff paste recipe ever! I searched high and low for this to go with The Captain’s Lady Lemon Pie and because it was so good I knew I had to make a separate post for it! I will be referencing this with many up and coming pastries! Most of the recipes I find come from old recipe books that require modification so that they are easy to follow, or they possibly need to be reworded to better fit a more modern audience. This was not the case with this recipe. It is ready to go and ready for you to use! Get to cooking!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Allow 2/3 of butter to become soft. Cut remaining butter into flour with a pastry cutter; add ice water using only enough to hold ingredients together.
- Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured board, making a square sheet. Spread 2/3 of dough with 1/4 of softened butter; fold un-buttered 1/3 over center 1/3 and fold remaining 1/3 over to cover first 1/3, buttered side down, making 3 layers of dough with butter between each layer.
- Turn dough 1/4 of way around on board and roll to about 1/4-inch thickness. Spread with butter. Fold as before and chill thoroughly.
- Roll, spread with butter, fold and chill 2 more times.
- Roll, shape and bake as directed in various recipes using Puff Paste. May be baked at once or wrapped in waxed paper and chilled 12 to 24 hours. Makes 15 to 24 fancy pastries.